Have you ever studied for hours and still felt like you didn’t know the material? Have you ever expected to get a good grade on a mid-term and been disappointed? Do you ever wonder where all your time goes?
Academic coaching is a personalized, one-on-one meeting with a trained academic coach who can help you improve your skills and performance. Working with an academic coach can help you study smarter by developing skills in time management, goal setting, and test preparation.
Remember, SSC coaches are not academic advisors. Conversations with your advisor will focus on planning curriculum and meeting requirements, whereas academic coaching allows space for everything in between, like learning strategies, life management skills, and earning strong grades. A meeting with one of our academic coaches is one of the best ways to personalize your education and get on track academically.
Coaches can help you manage your time, study smarter, plan for tests, and design learning strategies tailored to you. Meeting with a coach is comfortable, low maintenance, and low drama. It’s a chance for you to talk about your own experience at UT, in and out of the classroom. You’ll be listened to and taken seriously. SSC data shows that students who meet with an academic coach regularly achieve higher academic success. We recommend you come early and come often to make the most out of your coaching experience.
- First of the semester to review your course load and devise strategies to attack your work
- Mid-semester after you’ve settled into your classes and are aware of long-term assignment dates
- End of the semester to sharpen your focus on your remaining work
- feel you’re “not doing well”
- have questions about any kind of academic policy
- feel undue academic pressure
- want to explore academic options of any kind
- want to sharpen your learning or life management skills, including:
- College reading and writing
- Managing stress
- Motivation and focus
- Communicating with instructors
- Test-taking strategies
- Time management