SSC is here to help your student achieve academically. You may be wondering when, how, and why to refer a student to see us. Whenever a student is struggling, we encourage you to recommend that he or she visit SSC. Similarly, if a student has a non-course-related question, you can send him/her to the center. Basically, it’s never a bad idea for students to come see us, so if you’re ever wondering whether to recommend us to a student, the answer is yes! Specific referrals for tutoring, supplemental instruction, and academic coaching are also welcome. See below for specific contacts for each category.
If you’re particularly concerned about a student or want us to reach out to the student (rather than waiting for him/her to come to us), you’re welcome to contact us. Similarly, if you have important information or insight to share regarding a student, don’t hesitate to e-mail or call. If you’re not comfortable doing so, however, or you just don’t think it’s necessary, feel free to simply remind students that we are a helpful resource for them.
Specifically, the SSC staff can help you by:
- Providing academic coaching, tutoring, and/or supplemental instruction for your student. Contact Jessica Osborne or Brandon Jones if you have questions on any of these academic support services.
- Serving as a resource for students who need assistance with study skills, time management, test-taking strategies, and other self-regulation skill-building strategies (Tips and Resources for College Students)
- Providing referral information (Referral Guide for Student Success)
- Presenting programs for students, faculty, or staff that focus on student success issues and strategies (Request a Presentation)
- Serving as a “visiting instructor” for your class in cases where you are attending conferences, presenting papers, etc. (Contact Jessica Osborne)
- Discussing how tutoring can help your students be more successful (Contact Brandon Jones)
- Discussing how Supplemental Instruction (SI)/collaborative learning might work with your class (Contact Brandon Jones)
- Answering questions concerning undergraduate academic policies and procedures (e.g., Academic Probation, Dismissal, and Appeals)
- Helping you determine what resources might be of most help to a specific student of concern (Contact us by e-mail or call us at 865-974-6641
Faculty and staff, please note that SSC does not advocate for students with grade disputes. Grade disputes are an interdepartmental matter and SSC does not take sides on such issues. We are happy to meet with students to discuss their concerns, but we do not get involved with, nor do we support grade appeals or grievances against particular instructors.
Parents, please note that the success of your son or daughter is important to us. We believe parents play a critical role in their children’s lives, so we have included links to the right to give you resources to help you support your son or daughter during their time at the university.