» SI » Become an SI Leader!
Want to help your fellow students be more academically successful? SI Leaders hold group study sessions several times a week for selected courses where the SI Leader helps students review and understand course content.
SI Leader positions for the 2014-2015 academic year include Math 115, Math 119, Math 130, Chemistry 100, Chemistry 110, Chemistry 120, Chemistry 130, Chemistry 350, and Chemistry 360.
The SI Leader application cycle begins in November and March of each academic year. Applications will be available for download here during that time. If you have questions regarding the process of becoming an SI Leader, please contact us.
- Junior or senior standing is preferred; second-term sophomore is the usual minimum.
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or above is preferred.
- A grade of 3.0 or above in the selected course is required; prior enrollment with the
professor who is to teach the selected course is preferred, but not required.
- Content-competency (to be determined by the selected course professor) is required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (to be determined by the SI supervisor) are required.
- Comfort and skill in public speaking are required.
- Availability to attend selected course as scheduled and evening sessions are required.
- Availability for the full academic year is preferred, although continued
employment will depend on SI Leader performance.
- Attend class meetings of the selected sections of the course, take notes, do homework and read assigned materials including text(s) and supplemental readings, as necessary.
- Conduct at least two 1-hour study sessions per week throughout the term using strategies learned through the SI leader training workshop.
- Regularly meet with the SI supervisor to discuss observations of the SI sessions, the creation and use of SI session handouts, and the planning and use of a wide variety of learning strategies within the SI sessions.
- Notify supervisor about problems or potential problems.
- Hold office hours in the Student Success Center to be available for individualized
- Assist SI supervisor in training other SI leaders.
Supplemental Instruction (SI)
UT FACULTY/STAFF» ONLINE REFERENCE
- To UT Faculty and Staff, please click here to complete an online reference form for students seeking to apply for a SI Leader position.