First-year seminars will expose student scholars to campus resources and create positive early experiences that increase students’ engagement and success.
Students will experience:
- The use of engaging, active-learning pedagogy
- An introduction to the interdisciplinary, problem-focused mission of the university
- Involvement with the “big questions” that matter beyond the classroom
- High levels of faculty and staff engagement and campus involvement that connects them with peers and the Volunteer community
Upper-division Vols will connect with first-year student scholars to provide coaching, mentoring, social activities, and academic support to promote success.
Academy members will interact with peer coaches through:
- The Fall Kick-Off Institute
- First-year seminars
- Small group work and family meetings with UTSA peers
- Additional social gatherings per semester
- Academy-specific study sessions or Academic Success Center hours for respective family groups
Students accepted into the program are granted Priority Registration.