Vol Success Week
October 5-9, 2020
Fall 2020 – New Division Initiatives
The mission of the Division of Student Success is to engage each scholar’s experience by supporting their unique strengths and goals. Building upon this mission, the division announces the following initiatives in collaboration with Student Life and the academic colleges.
- Be assigned to each incoming first-year and transfer scholar
- Consist of an academic advisor, academic coach, and a One–Stop team member
- Co-create an academic plan with the scholar that aligns with their strengths, goals, and dreams
For more information on Vol Success Teams, click here
The Vol First-Year Experience (VFYE) focuses on ensuring incoming, first-year scholars have opportunities to engage with peers, faculty, and staff within their academic college while learning how to navigate college life at UT. VFYE will:
- Enroll first-year scholars in two courses, a first-year seminar, and an academic course
- Support each scholar in building meaningful relationships with faculty, staff, and one another
- Aid scholars’ transition to college and UT by connecting them with resources designed to support their success
- Enroll scholars in a college-specific first-year seminar that will include five university-level modules:
- Vol Success Team-Academic Support
- Health Education and Wellness
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Student Engagement & Leadership
- Career Development
For more information on VFYE, click here
New student orientation has been revamped with the New V.O.L. Experience, culminating in the Live the Experience at Welcome Week. The New V.O.L. Experience will:
- Details about how to successfully succeed at UT including tutorials in Canvas, MyUTK, and ways to achieve excellence in an online or hybrid delivery mode environment.
- Personalized academic coaching, an opportunity for scholars to get to know their Vol Success Team, and online course navigation tutorials
- Engaging activities including identity-based socials, academic college welcome events, Paint the Rock, campus tours, and Explore Knoxville
- Traditional programming, like Torch Night, but include new programming such as a diversity & inclusion event, co-hosted by the Department of Sociology and Student Life, about the power of perspectives
For more information on the New V.O.L. Experience, click here
This innovative programming will enhance our scholars’ transition and experience at UT. By working directly with Enrollment Management, One Stop Student Services, Student Life, and the academic colleges, we are clearly articulating the academic services available to scholars and creating clearer paths for them to succeed.
Together these initiatives will:
- Provide students with a clear understanding of the academic support services available to them to complete their degrees.
- Increase efficiencies and collaborations between the academic colleges, enrollment management, and student life.
- Provide data to the university that will help leaders understand factors impacting persistence and engagement.