The Trailblazer award recognizes two exceptional first-generation seniors for their outstanding achievements throughout their four years at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Recipients of the Trailblazer Award must be nominated by a current faculty and/or staff member and be graduating in either Spring, Summer, or Fall semesters of the nominating year.
The purpose of the Trailblazer Award is to recognize and celebrate the outstanding achievements and accomplishments of first-generation college seniors at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Students eligible for this award will have been actively involved in the campus community and will have made significant or noteworthy contributions to the campus and first-generation community.
- Be a first-generation student (neither parent of guardian has received a 4-year college degree);
- Enrolled at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville during the semester of nomination;
- Be graduating from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville during the year of nomination;
- Have a record of exceptional academic performance (preferred GPA of 3.0 or higher);
- Be in good judicial standing;
- Demonstrated noteworthy contributions to the campus and first-generation community; and
- Nominated by a faculty or staff member in order to be eligible to receive this award.
- Recipients of the Trailblazer Award will have been selected by a committee of reviewers.
- Reviewers will be responsible for reviewing the nomination requests, verifying academic records, and ultimately selecting the recipients based on their exceptional academic records and overall contributions to the UT and first-generation communities.
- Recipients will be recognized at the annual First-Generation Graduates Reception.
The First-Generation Trailblazer award recognizes two exceptional first-generation seniors in spring semester at the First-Generation graduates reception. Nominations can be submitted from faculty and staff members for students graduating in the spring, summer, and fall of the nomintating year.
Please consider nominating outstanding seniors that you feel demonstrate the characteristics this award represents.
- Graduating senior (Spring, Summer, and Fall)
- Student must be in good academic standing
- Involvement in campus life, activities and programming
- Overall impact and contribution to the campus community
- Future potential (graduate school/career goals)
Nominations must be submitted by March 31st of each year.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, eligible students should be nominated by a current faculty, staff, or UT administrator.
Trailblazer award winners will be recognized and awarded at the annual First-Generation Graduates Reception in the Spring Semester.
Award recipients will be recognized and can pick up their award at a later date and time.
Yes, transfer students can be nominated to receive the Trailblazer Award.