UT LEAD Living & Learning Community
The UT LEAD Living & Learning Community (LLC) is a two-semester residential program focusing on leadership, excellence, achievement, and diversity. Established in 2018, the LLC has had a proud tradition of helping students succeed and thrive at the University of Tennessee. The UT LEAD LLC provides first-generation college students with opportunities to build a support network of peers and UT staff through shared course work, social interactions, and monthly programs. Managed by the Office of Academic Inclusive Initiatives, the LLC provides enhanced educational opportunities, resources, and financial support for 50 first-generation students at the University of Tennessee.
The UT LEAD LLC aims to contribute to the successful retention and graduation of first-generation college students at the University of Tennessee. Students participating in the LLC will not only have access to a network of social and academic support, but they will also learn the value of the undergraduate experience and how it can influence their future goals and career aspirations.
In addition to a $1,000 scholarship ($500 fall and $500 Spring), UT LEAD LLC scholars will receive:
- Access to an exclusive leadership Living & Learning Community,
- Exclusive extended New Vol Experience (orientation),
- Flexible and innovative academic, social and cultural programming designed to increase self-efficacy, self-determination, independence, and sense of belonging within the university community,
- A personalized Vol Success Team,
- Peer Mentoring with Student Success Ambassadors,
- Leadership development and strength-based workshops,
- Make connections with academic coaches, financial aid counselors, faculty, alumni, and other campus partners
- Diversity and Inclusion Programming, and
- Exclusive Alumni Networking Opportunities
- First-Year Seminar
- First-Year Seminar 101: During the Fall semester UT LEAD scholars will enroll in a shared first-year seminar course. The shared course allows for the cohort to become both socially and academically integrated in campus culture and to learn and hone in on your strengths.
- LLC Requirements
- Students in the UT LEAD LLC will commit to living on campus for their first year at UT and participating in the UT LEAD program. Throughout their first year, UT LEAD scholars will receive academic and personal support through various programs, seminars and workshops. The seminars, workshops and programs will connect scholars to campus resources and research opportunities, and will also allow scholars to engage in activities and conversations centered on diversity, academic success, and leadership. Scholars will also have opportunities to participate in cultural and social outings and engage in community service. As part of the UT LEAD LLC, scholars will be required to complete UT LEAD requirements as outlined below.
- Ongoing Academic and Social Support
- After year one, UT LEAD students will continue to receive academic social support through first-gen programs in the Office of Academic Inclusive Initiatives and through their Vol Success Teams.
Incoming first-year, first-generation college students are eligible to participate in the UT LEAD Living & Learning Community. Interested students must complete an application and the cohort will be chosen on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Email us at email@example.com or follow us on Instagram at @utlead1