Welcome to First-Year Programs (FYP)! Our team oversees multiple first-year courses, dedicated to supporting student transition and success. We had a combined 206 sections between First-Year Studies 101, Transition 201, and our Special Topics seminar in Fall 2022.
FYP manages 150+ instructors between all courses, which includes the training, development, and support to ensure their success within the classroom. Instructors can be full-time staff or faculty members who work for various colleges and departments across campus. FYP recruits, selects, trains, and supports 150+ student leaders, that includes both the Peer Mentor (PM) and Peer Mentor Coordinator (PMC) positions.
Why FYS 101?
Check out some statistics from fall 2022:
- 88% of eligible students enrolled in FYS 101.
- 95% of enrolled students successfully completed FYS 101 at the end of the fall 2022 semester.
- The average cumulative GPA of those students who successfully completed FYS 101 was 3.43.
- The average cumulative GPA of those students who did not complete FYS 101 was 2.68.
- 98% of those students who successfully completed FYS 101 in the fall, returned to UT for the spring 2023 semester. This is compared to 72% who did not complete FYS 101.