First-Generation Initiatives places emphasis on forming strategic collaborations to meet the needs of underrepresented populations, including but not limited to, Students of Color and students who are first in their families to attend college.
- Provide strategic direction and assessment of UT’s retention and persistence efforts to support first-generation students;
- Deliver culturally sensitive and responsive academic and social support and engagement;
- Enhance skills to engage in meaningful conversation and intercultural and intergroup dialogue;
- Promote collaboration with campus and community partners to close the opportunity and achievement gap of underrepresented students;
- Acknowledge, embrace, explore and celebrate differences.
In addition to the strategic goals set by First-Generation Initiatives, the First-Gen Advisory Council was implemented to serve as a volunteer group who provides expertise advice and advocacy for overall student success.
Learn More About First-Gen Initiatives
- Diversity: We acknowledge, affirm, welcome, respect, and value different voices, identities, beliefs, and cultures to foster a diverse learning environment.
- Inclusivity: We create a welcoming community that fosters an inclusive environment of mattering and belonging.
- Advocacy: We champion and advocate for the elimination of policies, practices and procedures that pose barriers and impede the success of scholars.
- Empowerment and Support: We encourage scholars to express themselves and to use their voice on campus and beyond to become responsible citizens who make positive impacts in a global society.
- Intentional Collaboration: We cultivate meaningful internal and external partnerships to maximize the educational experiences of underrepresented scholars.
- Access: We coordinate, implement and evaluate programs, events, and initiatives designed to increase access to higher education and its resources.
- Holistic Development: We integrate diversity, equity, and inclusion in all facets of learning experience including academic, social, and professional.
- Data-Driven: We engage in ongoing assessment practices to make data-informed decisions.
Fill out the information below to have a member of First-Generation Initiatives speak with your class, department, or student organization about general resources available to them or select presentation topics/request. Sessions are customizable to your needs. Requests must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the preferred date.