Discovery Day Sees Largest Number of Student Researchers Since Inauguration

UT’s 2023 Discovery Day took place Tuesday, September 12 in John C. Hodges Library. This year’s exhibition featured the largest number of student researchers since its inauguration in 2015.  

Amber Williams, vice provost for Student Success, and Meredith Malburne-Wade, director of Undergraduate Research & Fellowships, offered opened remarks and welcomed researchers, faculty, staff, and guests to two sessions, one from 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m. and one from 2:30 p.m.-4 p.m.

This year’s event featured 115 student researchers presenting 105 projects. These students represented seven colleges and 41 different majors. In addition, 74 faculty members from eight colleges and 39 different departments mentored these researchers, with 17 of those mentors supporting multiple posters. 

One of the student researchers who presented was Jamisen Mobley, a senior majoring in biological sciences with a concentration in biochemistry and cellular and molecular biology and a minor in public health.

Her presentation was titled “Evaluating the Potential of Oncolytic Herpes Simplex Viruses to Enhancing Anti-Tumor Immunity within the Glioblastoma Setting.” 

“This past summer I was given the opportunity to work with Dr. Joseph Jackson at the University of Tennessee Medical Center in his oncolytic therapeutics’ lab as a student in the Advancing Access to Careers in Medicine Scholars Program,” Mobley said. “When presenting at Discovery Day I was able to display and explain my research amongst my peers and faculty. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and getting the opportunity to be an expert on my findings from my time in the lab this summer.” 

Discovery Day is one of two signature symposiums throughout the academic year for undergraduate students to present their research. Occurring each fall, Discovery Day showcases research from the previous spring and summer semesters.

Student scholars work with a faculty mentor, create dynamic posters, and are on hand throughout the symposium to present and answer questions about their research.