Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Fulbright US Student Program

The Fulbright US Student Program is the largest US international exchange program providing opportunities for students to undertake year-long post-graduate research, grad degrees, arts projects, or teaching in one of 140+ countries around the world. 2,000+ students are selected annually for Fulbrights. UT is consistently recognized as a national Fulbright Student Program “Top Producer.”

If you are a UTK student or alumni who is interested in applying for the Fulbright this October, please complete an interest form, and we will get in touch with you.

Fulbright Eligibility Criteria

  • All UT undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni interested in applying for a Fulbright must work with the Office of Undergraduate Research & Fellowships throughout the application process
  • Have a bachelor’s degree by the start of the grant, be a current graduate student (without a PhD), or be an alumni who holds at least a bachelor’s degree but does not have a PhD
  • A US citizen or national at the time of application
  • Please note that some countries hold specific standards of ineligibility, such as dual citizenship or extensive recent experiences in the host country.
  • There is no minimum GPA, but broadly speaking, competitive applicants possess a strong academic record. Bigger picture: The Fulbright is a nationally competitive award designed to foster deep cultural exchange. Each applicant’s qualifications and experiences—in and out of the classroom—are evaluated holistically. The Fulbright is looking for applicants who can foster better mutual understanding between the US and the host country, on a one-to-one basis.

Grant Types

More than 360,000 Fulbrighters from the United States and other countries have participated in the program since its inception in 1946. The two main types of Fulbright awards are Study/Research grants (which include arts projects) and English Teaching Assistant (ETA) grants. An applicant may only apply for one of type of grant in one country per application cycle.

Study/Research Grants

Students applying for Study/Research grants design their own projects and typically work with advisers at foreign universities. The Study/Research grant is available in 140 countries with field-specific opportunities in the Creative & Performing Arts, Business, Journalism & Communication, STEM & Public Health, as well as Graduate degrees. Applicants should ensure their project proposals be either country-specific or field-specific. Projects typically involve independent research, formal (i.e., classroom) study, or some combination thereof. In some cases, homestay families are arranged for Study/Research grantees to accommodate for living arrangements. Specific program requirements will vary by country.

English Teaching Assistantships (ETAs)

Students who receive an ETA grant are placed in a foreign classroom and assist teachers of English to non-native English speakers. Opportunities are available to teach ages and academic levels ranging from kindergarten to university. ETA recipients also serve as cultural ambassadors and typically take on a supplemental creative or research-based projects in their host community. Most ETAs will reside with a homestay family while living in the host country. Specific requirements of ETA grants also vary by country.


NB: UT faculty interested in the Fulbright Scholar Program should contact ORIED’s Alan Rutenberg at Visiting Fulbright Students should connect with UT’s Office of International Student & Scholar Services.