UT Announces 2023 EURēCA Winners

The Exhibition of Undergraduate Research and Creative Achievement (EURēCA), led by Undergraduate Research & Fellowships in the Division of Student Success, took place on April 25, 2023.

This year’s event was hosted in UT’s Student Union with 1,179 students showing 868 projects from a wide range of disciplines and methodologies. On May 4 during a closing awards ceremony, participating colleges presented a total of 161 awards for excellence in undergraduate research and creative achievement. Nine colleges and the Baker Center for Public Policy were represented with students from over 56 departments participating. 

Sarah Lange, a senior majoring in addiction and behavioral neuroscience in the College Scholars program, was one of the undergraduate Vols to present two research projects. “For the past three years, research has been my outlet for inquiry and critical thinking, my space for creativity, and my celebration of innovation,” Lange said. “My experience at the University of Tennessee has opened my eyes to the depth of material that research can explore, and I am exceptionally grateful for the Office of Undergraduate Research and Fellowships for this opportunity!” 

In addition, the 2023 Faculty Research Mentor Award Winners, sponsored by URF, were announced. This award recognizes UT faculty who have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to mentoring undergraduate researchers. At least two undergraduate students must nominate them, with at least one having participated in the recent EURēCA. 

Since 1997, EURēCA has become one of UT’s premier undergraduate research events and is an annual spring event that showcases research and creative activities across all disciplines by currently enrolled undergraduate students in collaboration with a faculty mentor. This year, student research was overseen by 331 faculty mentors, as well as postdocs and graduate students helping to mentor undergraduates in their research groups. In addition, 224 campus and industry judges participated, and division representatives worked with Undergraduate Research & Fellowships for the entire academic year to provide this opportunity for students. 

Tyler Myers, a senior majoring in microbiology and neuroscience and 2023 Goldwater Scholar, said, “”EURēCA gave me an opportunity to showcase my own research while celebrating the hard work of my peers. Participating in such an interdisciplinary event as EURēCA helps unify our campus through a shared interest in academic exploration and creative endeavors.”