One of the purposes of asking questions in an interview is to gain information from the interviewer. Good questions can make a very positive impression by showing that you are thorough, interested, intelligent and knowledgeable. An absence of questions, or routine questions that show no research on your part, leave a negative impression.
Careful preparation for the job interview is critical. An essential part of your preparation is to research employers and develop pertinent questions upon your research.
These questions can fall into many categories dealing with the position, the organization, the career paths, or the individuals with whom you may be working.
Questions to Ask in an Interview
Pertaining to the Position Description
- Can you tell me about the primary people with whom I would be collaborating with?
- Is this a newly created position? If not, how long did the previous person hold it? Was the previous person promoted?
- What challenges did the previous person in this position face?
- What support services are available to carry out the responsibilities of this position?
- To whom would I be reporting? How and when would my performance be evaluated?
- Is regular travel a part of this position?
- Can you tell me about the people who would be reporting to me?
- Could you describe a typical day in this position?
- Can you tell me about the career path this position offers?
- What percentage of people are promoted from this position? How often?
- Could you tell me about the people who have preceded me in this position and in the department? Where are they now and what are they doing?
- How are promotions or transfers determined within the company?
- Does advancement to upper management usually require an advanced degree?
Education & Training
- What additional training might be necessary for this position?
- Is training done in a classroom/group session or is it handled on an individual basis?
- Are there training programs available to me so that I can learn and grow professionally?
- What type of on-the-job training programs do you offer?
- Does the company support further college education for its employers?
Company Values and Ethics
- What kind of personal attributes and qualifications does your company value?
- What characteristics are important for this position?
- What do you consider ideal education and experience for this position?
- What is the most significant challenge facing your staff now?
- Is there anything unusually challenging about this position?
- What have been some of the best results produced by people in this position?
- What are your projections for this department/position for the next year? (Specify type of projections, e.g. sales, production, products, profits, etc.)
- What do you see ahead for your company in the next five years?
- What are your plans for expanding the (Sales, audit, research, etc.) departments?
- What do you see in the future for this industry?
- What are some of your companies diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives?