According to recent career outcomes data, UT students who attended job fairs had a higher chance of getting job offers AND accepted higher salaries than students who did not attend a job fair. Preparing for a job fair ahead of time will ensure a successful experience and outcome. This page demonstrates how to prepare for and navigate a job fair, and shares steps for following up after a job fair to ensure an enjoyable and successful experience.
Check out upcoming job fairs on Handshake.
- Research employers attending the fair on Handshake. Learn about positions the employer is hiring for, qualities they look for in candidates, and general company information
- Create a list of questions you might want to ask employers
- Have your resume reviewed and print several copies on resume paper. Check out our resume drop in hours here
- Update your Handshake and LinkedIn accounts. Employers might want to connect with you after meeting!
- Practice your elevator pitch. What do you want employers to know about you?
- Pick out your business casual or business professional outfit
- Check in when your arrive and make a nametag
- Plan your course of action my reviewing a map or employer locations; find the employers you want to talk to first
- Take a lap around the fair and ease into it
- Introduce yourself with confidence and authenticity- employers are here to meet YOU!
- Provide your resume, ask any questions you may have, and actively listen to the recruiter
- Stay organized- jot down notes, recruiter names, and/or follow up instructions
- Obtain business cards if applicable
- Maintain an open mind. Consider chatting with employers you may not have originally planned to- you never know what opportunities you will find!
- Send a thank you email or LinkedIn message to recruiters from your target companies
- Connect with recruiters on LinkedIn
- Apply for positions according to instructions that were given
- Add any interviews to your calendar and confirm details like location and time
Virtual Job Fairs
Complete the same steps listed above for attending a virtual job fair. Below are some things to consider:
- Make sure the space in your background is clean and clutter free or use a virtual background
- Sign up to meet with employers before the fair begins on Handshake
- Check out Handshake’s 10 tips for attending a virtual job fair