Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Full-Time Employment

Job searching is unique for everyone. It is important to avoid comparing your search job search to your peers. Additionally, there are a variety of job search strategies that you can utilize in your job search and the most successful job seekers employ multiple strategies in their job search. The Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration offers appointments and events to aid in developing students’ job search strategies. Students should set a goal for their job search and create a schedule to maintain–Consistency will be key in a job search! Job search success is in direct proportion to job search effort. 

Below is a list of highlighted job boards, job search resources, and 5 tips for a successful job search.

Highlighted Job Boards and Resources


UT’s online database for part-time, full-time, and internship positions. Register to participate in on-campus interviews and receive targeted email messages about special programs and opportunities.

Career Shift

CareerShift is a job aggregator that searches the web for job postings. Find opportunities posted on job boards, newspapers, individual company websites, and anywhere else online all in one place.

Industry-Specific Resources

Visit the industry pages for job boards and resources specific to your industry of interest. is the platform used for many federal positions. Find opportunities for current students and recent graduates with the various federal agencies. The platform also offers resources for developing a federal resume and outlines the federal application process.

The Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration recommends students start their job search as early as they can. It can look different for each industry, but a typical job search takes around 6 months. If students are interested in federal government jobs, it is recommend to plan for a 1 year job search as the average time to hire is around 100 days. We strongly encourage students to plan for the job search to take longer than they are prepared for.

The Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration recommends students build a network of contacts, especially within their industry. Students can build their network by attending events/jobs fairs, connecting with faculty, and participating in experiences outside the classroom. Utilize our Networking and LinkedIn resources to learn how to build and maintain your network.

You can leverage your network to help aid a successful job search. Contacts can be useful during a job search to find positions avaliable that are not posted online. Studies show that only 20% of jobs are actually posted—leaving 80% to be discovered or developed.

The Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration hosts multiple job fairs and networking events throughout the year. These events are excellent ways to meet employers, find out about open positions, and make contacts in industries of interest.

For a list of upcoming job fairs and networking events, visit our event calendar.

To prepare for a job fair, check out our Job Fair Checklist

Students will develop a list of contacts throughout their time in college ranging from faculty, coworkers, previous supervisors, and more. The Center for Career Development and Academic Exploration recommends students keep track of their contacts including their contact information.

Additionally, it is recommended that students keep track of the jobs they apply for with information on the job title, job description, application date, and a contact name if applicable. This information can be used to determine the number of jobs students have applied for, information to assist in preparing for an interview if selected, and understanding when students’ might need to follow up about an application.

The Center for Career Development & Academic Exploration has a team of Career Coaches that are organized by industry. We recommend discussing your job search with the Industry Career Coach. Schedule an appointment on Handshake!

Preparing for Life After Graduation

As you are transitioning into the world of work from the college setting, check out our guide called After Graduation: What’s Next?.